Monday, February 18, 2013

The Belated Christening


So, I’ve mentioned my novel before, I think. Probably. It’s only a project that took me 4 years to complete to some modicum of satisfaction, so it’s not like it’s a significant part of my life or anything like that. It has gone by many names: my firstborn, WIP (work in progress), my baby, my novel, my story, etc. etc. Now, however, it has been officially tentatively titled:

Paladin Awakens

There is nothing particularly extraordinary about that title. It doesn’t leap off the page to shock, inspire, or befuddle. But it does exactly what I want it to. It conveys several important pieces of information:
  1. It’s a fantasy novel. Anyone familiar with the genre will understand when I say that this title wouldn’t look out of place on a bookstore or library shelf amongst its genre-fellows.
  2. It reveals the main character. My protagonist wears many hats, and the role of "Paladin" is one of them. Also, the word itself conveys a lot of specific information. A paladin isn’t just a knight, but a champion—and one usually associated with a noble cause.
  3. It ties into her backstory. I’ve been very careful about what information I do or do not reveal in the book, mostly because I’m allergic to gratuitous exposition. When I read it, I break out in eye-rolls and insulting condescension. So the little tidbits are my way of revealing things without awaking the inner critic.
  4. It’s simple. There are enough self-important, bombastic sci-fi/fantasy novels out there, or others playing to fads of the genre. If I see another urban fantasy or vampire romance (both full of True Blood- and Game of Thrones-style adult fun times) in the sci-fi/fantasy section, my eyes may just roll out of their sockets. I can’t take myself too seriously, nor did I spend four years crafting this book relying on plot devices that exhaust me. It is what it is.
Now, to the point: why is my book now officially tentatively titled? Two-ish weeks ago, I discovered the existence of a contest. Now, normally contests aren’t my thing. I’m only competitive when it comes to Settlers of Catan and Phase 10. And I don’t have the mental or physical discipline to humiliate myself with feats of strength. But this contest seemed to be worth a shot…maybe mostly because I had most of the components previously prepared.

The entry period for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest closed January 27. I found out about it January 25. Which is why the previously prepared components thing was kind of a big deal. Also, just entering the competition would also be a personal victory, fulfilling one of my New Year's resolutions (see my entry "Resolutions Both Inane and Grandiose" here: http://peepinprogress.blogspot.com/2013/01/resolutions-both-inane-and-grandiose.html).

As I read the rules, I realized that I could do it. I could enter my novel into the contest.

That realization sparked the kind of frenetic energy that leaves me almost incapable of focusing on anything else. With my dysfunctional attention span finally working in my favor, I went home after work and got right to it. There were three basic components:
  1. The Pitch. Basically, it’s what could appear on the back of a book. A brief synopsis, compelling details, and a few words on the writing style. They asked for about 300 words. "Pfft." I thought. "I can write 300 words. Because I am awesome."
  2. The Excerpt. This is the first 3,000-5,000 words of one’s manuscript, which, in my case, is the first chapter. Since I had already edited the first 3 chapters for my final project in May, I was somewhat satisfied with what I had to submit.
  3. The Manuscript. According to ABNA rules, it has to be between 50,000-150,000 words. With my word count sitting somewhere between 110,000-120,000, I was sitting pretty. All I had to do was skim the last chapters to account for some minor details, and it was good to go.
So, Friday night, I wrote my pitch, re-read my excerpt, quickly edited the last of my manuscript, and submitted it. In the first round, 10,000 manuscripts would be rounded down to 2,000 based on pitch alone. This is mine:

Four hundred years after a rather catastrophic forced retirement, ex-Paladin Liera Sora has assumed the identity of Lia Roric, human healer for the fighters of the Arena. Living in the slums without her magic isn’t easy, but she’s kicking back, relaxing, and rolling with the (often literal) punches for the first time in her long life--which makes it awkward when she encounters an old comrade-in-arms who wants to bring her back into the fold.

The last thing Liera wants to do is get involved in another war, but after a serious guilt trip and the appearance of her murderous little sister, she finds herself homeward bound with a former rival, an awestruck go-fer, a felonious best friend, and an old Magus who’s more wisecracking than wise. Everyone is depending on her to resume her duties as Paladin and save the world--again. But first, she has to regain her powers and quell some vicious ghosts from her rather eventful past.

Bringing a healthy dose of self-awareness and some humor to the tropes of sword-and-sorcery, Paladin Awakens begins the story of an anti-heroine whose biggest strength might be her inability to forgive her own weakness. Everyday woes and humorous quirks ground the memorable cast as they set out on a quest that forces them to confront both the evil without and within.

I was quite pleased with the result. Apparently, so were the ABNA judges. Because yesterday, February 13, they posted the authors and titles of the 2,000 second-round contestants, and my name was there! The proof is in the PDF:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/APUB_images/ABNA_SciFiFantasyHorror_SecondRound_2013._V375961751_.pdf

On March 12, they announce the 500 contestants that made it to the quarterfinal rounds based on their excerpts. This, I have to admit, makes me nervous. As previously mentioned, I’m not a huge fan of gratuitous exposition. I also didn’t want to start my novel with the expected, action-packed prologue. So Paladin Awakens starts off on a quieter note, and that is very risky. I’m also nervous because, as exciting as making the second round cut is, I really, really want to make it to the quarterfinals. Because the quarterfinalists get their manuscript reviewed by Publisher’s Weekly.

That is just an amazing opportunity. The chance to have my work reviewed and get some exposure…wow.

So now, I’m eagerly awaiting March 12, when they announce the quarterfinalists. Your prayers, support, and encouragement will be gratefully accepted during this time of tenterhooks.

4 comments:

  1. The fact that you don't have a prologue gets you +1000 points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your summary so very much. It makes me laugh out loud and want to go back and reread your novel all over again. Also, my favorite line of this post "mostly because I’m allergic to gratuitous exposition."

    Having been completely drawn in by your "opens on a quieter note" style this summer, I want to reassure you that your "little tidbits" are just as good as (maybe better than) a mid-action opener.

    ReplyDelete